Solo Founders: How do you do "everything" by yourself?
I am Pat and I wanted to write a longer introduction post. Also, I would love to hear your advise and hear your thoughts on some of the challenges I am facing. I have already touched on this in my WIP intro post but could not go into details due to the character limit.
I have been working on https://missioncontrol.me for a long time now. Always at night after my regular job. Actually, I work as a manager for a Pharma company. I am quite satisfied with my job. However, I'd love to be able to work less for somebody else and more on something meaningful on my own terms. Something which has an impact and improves peoples life’s.
Now the "problem": After many long, long nights I feel like I am slowly burning out. There are just so many things I have to do. And mostly, I have no clue how to do them so everything takes so much time. I had this vision of what I wanted to create but with time I had to make more and more compromises just because there is so much to do and I just don’t have the time and energy anymore. Don’t get me wrong. I am happy with the progress I have made and I know this is just the first version to start collecting feedback and improve from there.
I know this has basically just been a ramble so far. And maybe it is just me because I am already a bit older ;) and have a little kid... But my question to all the experienced makers here would be:
- Being a solo founder/creator: How the hell do you juggle all these different tasks? From building and improving the actual product/MVP to writing newsletters/e-mails, creating help/documentation, writing copy, blog posts, promoting the app, collecting feedback, tax and other legal requirements etc. etc.
- Do you „outsource“ some of these things to experts (e.g. via Upwork?)
- How do you get feedback early on to test your hypothesis? I will create a Roast post later - Any other suggestions?
- For how long do you test a hypothesis (i.e. you promote the app and see if people are interested)?
- To the non-native English speakers: Communication is key. How do you make sure your copy and other important information is clear? For me it is sometimes very hard to explain the idea of the app, or certain features.
Thank you. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, experience and ideas. If anyone wants to reach out with tips or wants to help regarding copywriting, marketing and other aspects feel free to reach out to me - [email protected]